måndag 28 juli 2014

 

One month after returning to Sweden,


I've had some time to process the billions of impressions after this stay, and to let my experiences in Honduras sink in. 
These four months were intense and I must admit that I had a hard time to adapt, living in Honduras is different and a great change from the life I was used to living in Sweden. After a while I found ways of adjusting into some sort of mixture, keeping parts of my swedish identity while developing my new identity as an inhabitant of Tegucigalpa. This process is very interesting and not always easy when the two identities every so often clash in different situations. Eventually you find ways of marrying the two and find a golden path in between. I am so very happy I took the chance of getting to know this little piece of earth in Central America. (Even though this sounds cheesy,) I will truly keep all the memories of my four months in Tegus close to my heart (there, I said it). There are so many amazing, inspiring and interesting people that I had the pleasure of meeting during my stay, all of you contributed to making the Honduran experience rich and interesting. You gave me food for thought and opened up my way of thinking. The meetings, the discussions, the good times and the hard times, all this hopefully made me a little bit wiser. It was wonderful getting to know a tiny bit of your colourful culture, your amazing nature and the vivacious spirit of the catrachas/os.

When it comes to the situation of the people living in Honduras today, I quickly understood it was worse than I had expected. And as in many difficult circumstances around the world, the women are the ones who suffers the most. I feel many things, among them frustration and anger, thinking about the injustice in all the different contexts and areas of the Honduran society. There is a great force of people struggling and working, even putting themselves in danger, every day of their lives to improve the conditions of the Honduran people, but they need support from the international society. I feel Honduras is being abandoned by the outside world, left to survive by itself one way or another. It is important to spread knowledge and information, and support Honduras in its struggle to stop the violations of the human rights, to turn around towards a democratic governance where the citizens are equally valued and not taken advantage of or being ignored. Things can change for the better, and the people will never give up.

Honduras deserves our attention and has so much to offer. I had the most amazing time in this country and I will be forever grateful to its inhabitants. Go visit Honduras, get to know the country and I promise you will be impressed with all the wonderful things it has to offer. Then you will see, and truly understand, that it deserves a brighter future. 



and to my dear witches, you are the descendants of the women they failed to wipe away! Keep using your powers with pride! Arde patriarcado, arrrde!

p.s. We made a small video about the ICYE experience:

 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar