onsdag 12 februari 2014


First week


This week is the first real week in Honduras, which means that I started working and don't go out every night of the week. This week, or actually this day, was also the first day I felt a little bit independent. Today I was at a café by myself (ok I got my order wrong but who cares), I went to work and to the supermarket by myself and walked to the office of ICYE (yes, by myself), and I took a yellow bus (considered a bit uncomfortable and dangerous) all by myself to the university, where I managed to ask my way to the office of my host mom. Wow huh? It feels so great to be a little free again, now when I know at least a small area of the city and how to get around. Ever since I got here I have been carrying around a minor but frustrating feeling of entrapment, it is always a project and a worry how to get from point a to point b, and a feeling of getting lost and getting in trouble has always been in the back of my mind. But, today everything went great and I also met some really nice persons who helped me out!

Yesterday on the other hand, I felt really down because of the machismo sticking on you like a gross old patch when it comes to walking on your own in the city. There are comments, yelling and kissing sounds (also the sound you make to horses btw.) all. the. time. Every two seconds you get some kind of unwanted attention of the men in your environment. I believe this is because I am a foreigner (allthough, sadly, this happens frequently to honduran girls and women also), and also because I wore a skirt yesterday that is considered short here. I was shocked, because I never thought it would be that bad. But today I wore a dress that covered my legs and the shouting and comments were reduced by about 50%. So the lesson of today is, do not wear "short" skirts. Also, as soon as you walk with someone else, the comments are much less frequent. And, try keeping your transportation on foot on streets that are full of people.

I haven't been taking any photos the last days since I'm a bit hesitant of taking the camera with me when I walk by myself in the city. But tomorrow I will make an exception and bring it with me, first to the CEM-H so I can take some photos of the great women who are working there and later document Nora's birthday party at sabor cubano! So stay tuned! I will tell you all about the CEM-H later on. 

In the meantime, here are some photos from the family barbecue last sunday: 











Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar